Saturday, February 7, 2009

Just Like David Letterman, Only Not as Funny



So I finally have access to internet! For a country so technologically advanced, it was way harder than it should have been to finally post. But truth be told, my first few days here were so exhausting that it was more of an effort than not to try to find an internet source. Even with my new Japanese cell phone that does everything short of cure cancer, I haven't had reliable internet, and it may be another two weeks till I have it set up in my apartment. But now, right in Sakae, I found this phenomanal internet cafe and once again seem connected to the world.

So as I write, its been exactly five days since I’ve been here, though with jet lag and all I’ve had to do it seems much, much longer. The travel, in truth, was much more tiring and long than I anticipated. The initial flight was fine. I actually ended up sitting next to two older Filipino people who were unrelated, a man and a women, because after Nagoya the flight was going on to Manila. They were absolutely charming, told me way too much about their separate lives and grandchildren, excited me with stories about Japan, and ended up figuring out that the women went to high school in the Philippines with the man’s wife over 40 years ago. It felt way too much like the plot of an independent film, but I concluded that I love Filipinos.


But it was after the flight that it got exhausting, because I had been traveling for over 24 hours at that point when I needed my energy the most. Not only did I have to lug two bulky 50 pound bags behind me as well as two heavy carry-ons, but I had to do it while navigating several train and subway stations while trying to meet up with Patrick, the representative of my Leasing company. Even though it was nice to have a partner through all this, a lovely girl named Amelia, it left me utterly drained. I ended up arriving at my apartment at 10:30 that night, paid my leasing company my initial rent, and promptly passed out.

But after that the adventure began. The next day Amelia and I got a personal tour of the area by Patrick, and after that we took to exploring. Getting the business of registering with our ward office and buying cell phones out of the way, I have traveled much of my neighborhood and the downtown Sakae area (a fifteen minute walk) in the last few days. Sakae in and of itself is overwhelming to describe, if not just the massive stores and restaurants themselves, but I can leave you with a quick list of my first impressions of Nagoya. I will call it...


Kate’s List of Things She Finds Weirdly Fascinating




1. Trucks Talk to You


Along with everything else here. Vending machines, trains, photo booths, crosswalks, cell phones and countless other items all feel the need to talk to you here. They sing infectiously cheery songs and speak very polite sentences. In fact, one photo booth I used went on to tell me how great a job I was doing and to keep it up. We never get self-affirmative technology in the states. But the trucks, by far, are my favorite. Every time they turn a corner, a decidedly feminine and high pitched voice warns everyone of their approach. Somehow the high female Japanese voice seems at odds with the big hulking piece of machinery making a large turn.


2. In Japan, Women Don’t Feel the Cold


At least not in their legs. Now, it is February 8th. And though it is slightly warmer than home, its still cold. And yet I have seen countless women in short skirts and shorts with bare legs. If it was just a few, it could be called a fluke, but I have seen a large percentage of the female population of Nagoya walking around without stockings and legs bared to the February air. At least a few wear shorts with tights, but I can’t even fathom the number of people that would think to wear shorts at all in the winter. As a side note, I find the Japanese to be a very fashionable lot in general, but the shorts seem absurd to me.




3. Random Western Celebrity Product Placement


In America, Tommy Lee Jones would never think of be a spokes model for vending machine coffee. But in Japan apparently he has no such qualms. If I could count the number of big A-List celebrities I’ve seen already advertising soft drinks and snacks it would blow your mind. As interesting as it is to see people like Brad Pitt and Nicole Kidman plastered across bill boards, its also very funny. I guess they think it wont really leak to the West if they do it in Japan. But now because of me, their dirty secret is out.




4. Masks for Everyone!

So this is phenomena I was vaguely aware of, but it wasn’t until I got here that I realized the large number of people that actually wear them every day. Age and gender are indiscriminate in who wears it, and even people working in stores and restaurants wear them like its nothing. I’ve even seen a few commercials on television for specialized ones. I understand that its done as a measure to keep from being sick, but for some reason I find it very, very odd, like the pink elephant in the middle of the room no one says anything about. I know this is just me being a foreigner, but even I’m surprised by how odd I find the entire institution. Like, how are non mask wearers not offended by such things? Because, really, what that person is saying is that he doesn’t trust that everyone around him is healthy or clean enough to not get him sick. But politely of course, because this is Japan.

5. Random Landmarks

So cuteness and “Engrish” abound here. And since I can barely read any of the kana, and absolutely no kanji, I find myself using odd things as landmarks. And really, even if I could read the sign, who wouldn’t want to use such things as a landmark? Like the huge sign with the pink dog and dancing orange monkey. Or that one with the clown that vaguely looks like Ronald McDonald. Or, best of all, the sign that proudly states “Goo” and “King Jim.” What are these actual establishments? I haven’t the slightest, but their hilarious signs help me find my way home.

6. The 100 Yen Store


An establishment so amazing it deserves its own post, and believe me, this ain’t your mother’s dollar store. In one of the large department stores in Sakae, the entire 7th floor is a 100 Yen store, and let me say, I will never shop anywhere ever again. Amelia and I spent way too much time there, and I ended up furnishing my apartment, kitchen, and bathroom for about 18 American dollars.


But all in all, the people are absolutely lovely and polite, the city much more beautiful than I imagined, and I’m just adjusting to life here. There are bits that are odd or just downright weird, and I’m sure that there will be many more, but it all culminates to make this experience what it is. I feel like my time is always busy, and I haven’t even started working yet. But I look forward to the challenge.

3 comments:

  1. Now...does the vocal encouragement include horrible english translations? I'm expecting an "all your base are belong to me" kind of encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! It's so wonderful to hear about Japan!

    "We never get self-affirmative technology in the states." I love it!

    Been thinking about you, hope you're settling in well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, no, no, Joe, it was perfect British English unfortunately. Its the written signs that are gold for that. I have a few choice pieces, especially a sign about bikes in the elevator, that is the most hilarious thing I've ever read. I've been forming a collection to post about. But who can beat early 90s imported video games.

    ReplyDelete