Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Famous Words to Live By

Everyone makes mistakes ~ Big Bird

Words I have taken to heart and tried to live by since I was a little girl and watching Seasme Street like it was a religious experience. In fact, I still think fondly back to those days, and a certain nostalgia fills me every time I come across old Sesame Street videos on youtube.

Its a funny thing. Most people my age treat Sesame Street with an almost reverence. It was such a perfect and undeniable part of our childhood, that it can't help but put everyone in a good mood whenever it's brought up. And it's funny to go back now and look at some of the skits. There is a certain element to them that I think is sometimes actually better appreciated as adults.

But times change, and there are a few things I mourn from the old Sesame Street. The fact that Elmo has eclipsed Grover in popularity, because I think we all know who the superior muppet is. (You know he was the best waiter around and where there is life, there is hope.) The fact that Cookie Monster doesn't eat just cookies anymore. (Now its a "sometimes food.") But for all the changes, for all the flaws, Sesame Street will continue to be something that I can't help but love.

And since today marks the 40th anniversery of Sesame Street, I just wanted to do a little honor to the show I fondly remember. So in celebration, I would like to present my all time favorite of the Waiter Grover series, and then my favorite song on Sesame Street.

(And you know I wasn't the only one who had that same rubber ducky.)



No comments:

Post a Comment